Meet the new E-class by Mercedes
1. Luxurious interior : Ok, ok, I hear you. It's a Mercedes - luxury is a given. The AMG takes luxury to a new level. The beautifully stitched quilted leather and walnut interior feels smart and sophisticated. It's 1.7 inches longer than its predecessor which provides more comfort for back seat passengers. From the outside this car is more aesthetically pleasing than its predecessor. Someone at Mercedes was thankfully allowed to be creative with this chassis.
2. Fifty shades of not grey : The car comes with 64 different colours of ambian lighting. I rated this feature highly because I often drive in the evenings. Having the ability to change the interior lighting of the car to match my mood was a fabulous feature.
3. Autonomous driving : This E-class thinks for you. If you hate parking in malls/small side streets then chill out in the back seat with a latte and let the E-class's automatic pilot system park for you. No joke. The car can automatically break and parks without human intervention. If you have trust issues you may find it hard to relinquish control to the E-class. Trust me, this fabulous feature will grow on you. In addition the car can also change lanes automatically. These features set the E-class apart from its competitors who as of the date of this review cannot drive themselves. Mercedes has cleverly stepped into Tessler territory.
4. Superior protective instincts: The protective safety features in the E-class are amazing. The driver's seat is fitted with motion sensors that grip your body as you turn around corners. It felt like my very own mechanical body guard. I really liked this feature it enhanced my driving confidence and quickly gained my trust as a car that's protecting my interests. The automatic breaking and steering features kick in where the E-class determines that the driver has made evasion behavior. This feature does require you to grip the steering wheel just to show the car that you are still awake. It's the feature that I liked the least on the car but I can see the benefits of this especially on long drives.
5. And the rest : There was plenty of space in the boot for my golf clubs and many shopping bags. The back seats are fitted with air bags and Isofix points. The car comes with temperature controlled front seats, Apple play (yes, you can park the E-class using this function) and a panoramic sunroof.
The E-class really is in a class of its own when it comes to safety and style. I really liked the practicality of the 4 door sedan but if I'm being honest I think I would go for the E-coupe for the cool factor. The BMW 5 series and Audi A6 have a new challenge on their hands...how to beat the E-class in the looks and technology departments. Check it out for yourself and book a test drive. Let me know what you think.